When it comes to water fountains and water features, glass isn’t all that it’s ‘cracked up’ to be. That’s why I make all of my fountains using either free-blown or bonded acrylic spheres. Acrylic has nearly the same optical qualities as glass while being less expensive, lighter-weight (so less to ship), stronger, and less fragile.
Take a look at some of the photos on my fountain page, and I think you’ll agree that acrylic spheres look every big as good as glass spheres. Click here to view more photos
Benefits of Acrylic vs. Glass:
- Acrylic is stronger than glass while also being as much as 4x lighter
- It’s less expensive to form large acrylic spheres than large glass spheres
- As Acrylic weighs less it also costs less to ship
- Acrylic is more easily scratched than glass, however it’s much easier to remove scratches from acrylic (there are many polishing kits available)
- Impacts that only scratch acrylic are likely to break glass. Replacing a large glass sphere would be VERY expensive. Polishing a scratch out of acrylic is inexpensive
Every water feature and water fountain on this site is constructed using an acrylic sphere – not a glass sphere. I think the pictures speak for themselves!
To learn more about my water features and water fountains, please select from the links below: